Major in Religion and Culture
"Religion and Culture will not only give you a deep, abiding connection to the world’s great intellectual and moral traditions but will give you the intellectual skills you need to deal with an evermore interconnected, complex world by linking these traditions to their historical, philosophical, cultural and political contexts... Being able to approach this incredibly complex space with ample imagination and a creative, multidisciplinary mindset is crucial for discovering opportunity where others see only noise."
B.A., IDST Religious Studies Degree Option, VT 2009
Staff Writer, The Christian Science Monitor
Core Courses (21 credits)
- REL/ HUM 1004: Investigations in Religion and Culture (3 credits)
- REL/ HUM 2004: Case Studies in Religion and Culture (3 credits)
- REL 1034: Religion in the Modern World (3 credits)
- HUM 2504: Introduction to American Studies (3 credits)
- REL 3024: Religion and Literature (3 credits)
- HUM 3204: Multicultural Communication (3 credits)
- REL/ HUM 4324: Topics in Religion and Culture
Religion and Culture Electives (12 credits from APS, HUM, JUD, and/ or REL)
- 3 credits must be at the 3000-level or above, and 3 credits must be at the 4000-level.
Foreign Language (6 credits)
- 2 courses from the following in a single foreign language: 2105, 2106, 3105, 3106
at the university level, the 2 introductory semesters of a single foreign language (1105-1106) not used to satisfy the admissions foreign language requirement.
Minor or Second Major
- Any university-approved major or minor, chosen in consultation with your departmental advisor.
- No double counting of credit hours between this minor or major and the 21 credits of core courses or the 12 credits of elective courses in Religion and Culture is permitted.
- However, the required foreign language courses may be double counted where required for the chosen minor or second major.
- Be sure to take a look at our department's undergraduate minors!
Please note that this major is different from the previous, interim one (IDST:RLC).
Please see here for that checksheet.
(take to Amanda Timcik in 114 Lane Hall)